Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gajar- Gobhi- Shalgam Achaar (Pickle)


Come winters.. season for fresh juicy beautiful vegetables.. and I used to look upto having GAJAR - GOBHI - SHALGAM ACHAAR... my favourite since I was a kid.. Just perfect with mathizz.. parathazz.. and for someone like me even with rice, maggi or just anything..


So while I was in India, I thought of learning the same from my grandma... and so sharing the same with you all..



Ingredients
Carrots - 250 grams
Turnip - 250 grams
Cauliflower - 2 flowers (medium size)
Ginger (medium-size) - 1 grated
Garlic - 6 flakes finely chopped
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chili Powder - as per taste
Salt - as per taste
Vinegar - 3 Tablespoons
Jaggery (Gur) - small piece
Mustard oil - 3 Tablespoons

Preparation
1. Peel the Carrots and Turnips and dice them - I cut them around 1 centimeter long.
2. Cut the Cauliflower into small florets.
3. Boil water in a large pan. Once the water begins to boil, remove from flame and blanch the chopped vegetables for about 5 minutes. Drain the water and put them to dry in the sun for about 2 hours.

Cooking
1. Heat oil in a non-stick vessel and crackle mustard seeds. Add Ginger - Garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the sundried vegetables along with salt and chili powder. Stir well and cover with lid. Let it cook on a slow flame.
3. Heat Vinegar in a bowl in the microwave for about 30 seconds and add Jaggery to it. Stir vigourously till they blend well. Add to the vegetables. Stir well and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes. (Taste the mixture to adjust the salt and chili level)
4.  Transfer the mixture into a air-tight container and add mustard oil.
5.  Ideally, we should put the pickle container in sunlight for 3-4 days but it is anyways ready for consumption immediately as well :))

Our yummy Pickle is ready... Enjoy it all winters :)


The recipe also goes to Radhika's event - Winter Cooking. 

4 comments:

  1. This is such a rare treat. I am compelled to share it. Tweeting this one out. Yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is yummy dear... right for this winter... I haven't tried pickles with veggies..:) This is a must try one..
    Bookmarked..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reva - its one of my favz.. my grandmom's recipe.. do try and i'm sure u ll make it again :))

    ReplyDelete